Amgen’s Corporate Social Responsibility program emphasizes that our value to society goes beyond making vital medicines, and it is also important to recognize that our value goes beyond the boundaries of our own operations. Amgen’s extensive global network of suppliers is not only vital to our ability to provide high-quality medicines reliably and efficiently, it also represents an opportunity to extend our ability to positively impact the communities and environments in which we operate. Recognizing the importance of our relationships with suppliers to achieve our mission, we have developed a Supplier Sustainability Program that is designed to ensure that our suppliers not only address quality, cost and reliability requirements, but also a wide range of sustainability and Corporate Social Responsibility considerations, in such areas as business ethics, labor and human rights, and environmental impacts.
The Supplier Code of Conduct is the foundation for the Supplier Sustainability Program, establishing the fundamental expectations that Amgen has for its suppliers. Other elements of the Program include:
- Sustainability performance assessments to evaluate key suppliers’ performance in relation to Amgen’s Supplier Code of Conduct.
- Collaboration with suppliers to understand the environmental footprint of our products over their lifecycles, including the use of Product Sustainability Profiles to identify opportunities for improvement.
- A Supplier Diversity Program designed to identify, develop, and utilize small, disadvantaged, veteran, disabled veteran, minority and women-owned business enterprises, as well as Historically Underutilized Business Zones (HUBZone) businesses, in our procurement of goods and services.
- Use of the Green Packaging Design rating system to increase use of environmentally-preferable packaging. For instance, nearly 100 percent of Amgen’s paper-based packaging components for clinical and commercial products are sourced from certified-sustainable forests.
- On-going monitoring of emerging global regulatory requirements associated with supply chains, to ensure that our Supplier Sustainability Program addresses those requirements in all markets in which we operate.
Links providing more details on the elements within the Supplier Sustainability Program are provided below.